IS YOUR STUDENT CAREER READY?
Employers want to hire talented college students and recent graduates who can demonstrate particular skills. Mastering these Career Readiness Competencies will make them competitive candidates for future employment. Each month we will highlight one competency and strategy to develop and demonstrate these skills
Demonstrate personal accountability and effective work habits; act responsibly with the interests of the larger community in mind.
- Gain an understanding of professionalism, develop the ability to verbally explain expected professional behavior, and consistently demonstrate this behavior.
- Initiate respectful, positive interactions with students, faculty, staff, and the public.
- Consistently be early or on time to school, work, meetings, and trainings.
- Avoid unethical behavior and call out others that may be acting unethically.
- Work productively individually or in teams with minimal distraction to task.
- Ensure their dress and appearance is appropriate to the office, event or responsibilities.
Practice these skills in and outside of the classroom:
- Show an active interest in learning their job, and improving their knowledge to do the best of their ability.
- Update their social media profiles with a special focus on a professional profile on LinkedIn and Handshake.
- Ask for additional tasks and responsibilities when the opportunity presents itself in their job.
- Join a professional organization in their area of interest, seek out opportunities to network.
- Find a mentor(s) to support them in their professional endeavors.
- Gain valuable professional and work experience through internships and other experiential learning opportunities; request feedback and review for continued development and growth.
- Demonstrate honesty, trust and dependability in interactions, both inside and outside the classroom