IS YOUR STUDENT CAREER READY?
Employers want to hire talented college students and recent graduates who can demonstrate particular skills. Mastering these Career Readiness Competencies will make you competitive candidates for future employment. Each month we will highlight one competency and strategy to develop and demonstrate these skills
Identify and articulate skills, strengths, knowledge and experiences relevant to desired position and career goal; navigate career options and pursue these opportunities.
- Be able to put their experiences into language that reflects the skills they have accomplished.
- Consider how to introduce themselves to potential employers.
- Learn more about industries and organizations that interest them and fit their values and goals.
- Practice networking in different
venues such as career fairs, professional organization meetings,
networking events, etc.
Practice these skills in and outside of the classroom:
- Work with Career Services staff to articulate their skills and strengths on a resume.
- Create a profile in Handshake job search platform.
- Create a LinkedIn profile and utilize it to share their skills and background, as well as to network with career professionals.
- Research industries and organizations that interest them to learn as much as they can about them.
- Seek experiences that expand their knowledge of their chosen profession, such as job shadowing, informational interviews, and internships.
- Practice using their “elevator pitch” to share their background and interests in a succinct manner.
- Utilize InterviewStream, an online tool, tor practice interview skills.
- Attend conferences, on-campus speakers and participate in clubs/events related to their major to expand their knowledge of career opportunities.