IS YOUR STUDENT CAREER READY?
Employers want to hire talented college students and recent graduates who can demonstrate particular skills. Mastering these Career Readiness Competencies will make your student competitive candidates for future employment. Each month we will highlight one competency and strategy to develop and demonstrate these skills
Respect the viewpoints of those from diverse cultures, races, ages, genders, religions and lifestyles to build collaborative relationships and communicate effectively; appreciate value, and learn from other cultures and perspectives to move beyond tolerance.
- Reflect and discuss what “inclusive excellence” means.
- Demonstrate inclusivity in all daily practices and communication.
- Consider themselves as part of the global community.
- Be prepared to work as part of a diverse team.
Practice these skills inside and outside of the classroom:
- Participate in activities that promote cultural diversity and learning, such as alternative spring break trips, campus clubs, and education abroad..
- Practice viewing events and situations from different points of view, respecting and seeking the value of each
- Attend Diversity events - workshops, retreats, lectures, programming
- Be open to different viewpoints.. Listen actively
- Reflect and practice answering interview questions about cultural competence and experience working with diverse populations and varied settings.
- Consider ways that might highlight global perspective and diverse experiences on their resume, cover letter and social media accounts.
- Evaluate whether potential employers and graduate programs offer a setting of inclusive excellence.