February is a big month in Career Services. Two of the biggest career fairs take place during this month, even though it is not on many students radar yet. We encourage students to create and update their resume in order to be prepared for the fairs and any upcoming career opportunities. You may want to check with your student to see if they have considered attending one (or both) of the fairs and have their resume updated. Here are a few tips that may help them with resumes:
- If possible, limit resume to one page.
- Use bullet formatting. Employers generally scan resumes in 15-30 seconds. Make it as clear and easy to read as possible.
- Skill based. Employers are not as interested in what you did, but how you did it.
- Resumes should be clean and error free (no typos). Proofread several times or have others look at it.
- No Templates – you’ll thank us later! Templates can be restricting and you may want full control of all formatting.
Resume resources are available at css.edu/career, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or stop by T2150.
Head of the Lakes Job & Internship Fair at UW-Superior is February 8th (shuttle available)
Minnesota Private Colleges’ Job & Internship Fair is February 22nd & 23rd (prearranged interviews day two of the fair) at the Minneapolis Convention Center (shuttle available)